Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Perennials by Bryce Gibson


Today I am going to be sharing a bit about a new, thrilling YA novel - Perennials by Bryce Gibson. This was an awesome read so I hope you love it as much as I did. 

Summer in South Carolina—a time of ripe peaches, crackling bonfires, trips to the lake, and the rural legend of a creature known as the Lizard Man. This year, a very real monster is lurking about. The victims all have one thing in common—they share their names with plants. Soon it becomes apparent that seventeen-year-olds Dusty Miller and Nandina Bush may be next on the killer’s list.

“That was when I realized that the red I saw in the driveway wasn’t blood. It was a scattering of rose petals. Deep down, I knew, right at that very moment, that what all of us had been afraid of for the past several months had already happened. The serial killer had finally made his way to Crow County.” – Dusty Miller

My Thoughts: 

*I was provided a copy of this book for review consideration. This in no way affects my opinion on Perennials*

If you spend any small amount of time around my sister, you'll know she is absolutely obsessed with psychological thriller type books, and she's been begging me to try one for the longest time. The thing that kept me away from a lot of those is yes, the plot sounded great, but with the success of books by the likes of Mary Kubica, Gillian Flynn, and Paula Hawkins in recent years so many authors have, for lack of a better way to put it, taken the easy way out and followed different themes. So, I wanted something different. When I first read about Perennials, I had a strong feeling that I was going to love it and I'm glad to report I was right.

The blurb didn't give a lot away and it allowed me to go in a little blind, which I kind of like. I had no idea what kind of people the characters were going to be but with each page I got to know them a bit more as this sort-of mystery unravelled. There is nothing quite like a book that keeps you turning page after page because you just can't wait to finish reading it - you have to know what happens next and this was one of those. It's pretty hard for me to describe my enjoyment of the book without giving much away, so I'll just leave you with this: if you want a YA novel that keeps you guessing and questioning, a novel that really has you on the edge of your seat with nail-biting anticipation, Perennials by Bryce Gibson is for you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment